Natural Cures Not Medicine: How Long to Nap for the Best Brain Benefits

Most Read This Week:

How Long to Nap for the Best Brain Benefits

Taking a nap, we've seen time and again, is like rebooting your brain. But napping may be as much of an art as it is a science. Scientists offer recommendations for planning your perfect nap, including how long to nap and when.


The sleep experts in the article say a 10-to-20-minute power nap gives you the best "bang for your buck," but depending on what you want the nap to do for you, other durations might be ideal:
For a quick boost of alertness, experts say a 10-to-20-minute power nap is adequate for getting back to work in a pinch.

For cognitive memory processing, however, a 60-minute nap may do more good, Dr. Mednick said. Including slow-wave sleep helps with remembering facts, places and faces. The downside: some grogginess upon waking.

Finally, the 90-minute nap will likely involve a full cycle of sleep, which aids creativity and emotional and procedural memory, such as learning how to ride a bike. Waking up after REM sleep usually means a minimal amount of sleep inertia, Dr. Mednick said.

In addition to those recommendations, one surprising suggestion is to sit slightly upright during your nap, because it will help you avoid a deep sleep. And if you find yourself dreaming during your power naps, it may be a sign you're sleep deprived. While you're planning your nap, don't forget to time it during the right time of day as well.

Source: LifeHacker

7 comments:

  1. I am a huge believer in naps. I can remember when I was a small child and we would always take an afternoon nap after church. I still do that with my own family. I don't get enough sleep during the night as I have a toddler, so those naps are like gold to me when I can even get a few during the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about Sunday afternoons that is perfect for a nap? I almost always fall asleep after church, usually within an hour/hour n a half of getting home

      Delete
    2. Ah, the after-church nap :-) Something about Sunday afternoons. Never fails.

      Delete
  2. Awesome to know! Thanks for the article. what time of day is best for these aforementioned naps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually before 3p.m., Christian. Any later and you won't get much benefit from it - but it does depend on the hours that you are working. If you're 9 - 5, post lunch.

      Delete
  3. All I know, is power naps, nana naps and the like mean that my insomnia is made so much worse. If I have a nap early in the evening, it is likely I won't fall asleep before 6 in the morning. Very distressing. And, no; I have not found a natural solution to my problem. Valerian doesn't work. Can't drink milk, and in the "western medical tradition", my GP will not prescribe the only drug that has ever worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever they fit your schedule, only you would know this. Think you need one right now haha

    ReplyDelete

How do you feel about this?

Disclaimer:

Before trying anything you find on the internet you should fully investigate your options and get further advice from professionals.

Below are our most recent posts on facebook